Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Something To Blog About

In response to the previous blog, I really did not mean for it to sound so depressing. I read it later, after I had wrote it and realized how depressing it really did sound. When I wrote the blog, I was actually feeling pretty good. I will be careful to give the wrong impression in future blogs! Even though, I really enjoyed all the comments!

On Saturday, Joe (exchange student from MI, USA and language school) and I took the train to Næstved to see some other exchange students. It was really a great time. We met four Kiwis (New Zealanders) who were in our "group" from arrival camp. Two of them live in Næstved and two came from from Jutland. Also, an Italian and Brazilian who live in Næstved joined us. The weather was beautiful and so the eight of us decided to go to the beach. It was about 4:00 when we left and 8:00 when we came back. It was a really wonderful time. I had to go home at 10:00, because the next day Fie and I went to Copenhagen. We visited my older host sister, Malene, and her boyfriend, David, at their apartment in a suburb of Copenhagen. They were going to take us to a "football" game at 3:00, but it was rescheduled for 6:00. To kill time, we played Monopoly. (The Danish version is called "Matador".) After, we ate at a cafe and then headed to the stadium. It is called Parken and is FC København's stadium and is also where the Danish National Team plays. It was fun to see soccer played professionally. I never knew that there was so much strategy to the game. It was a fun day and I really enjoyed it.

Last night I went to Køge to another volleyball club. It, ironically, is located only 2 blocks or so from my language school. It was awesome! There were six other boys on the team and they are all about my age. Although my volleyball fundamentals are extremely underskilled, I had a great time. It was especially great, because I felt really comfortable! All six of the boys really encouraged me and they are all really good! I have a long way to go with my volleyball skills, but the social part I think will be a little easier. I am going back on Wednesday and Friday. If I continue to have fun, I will join the club.

This Friday I also have my class party. I am in class '2b' and so the party will be all the B's: 1b, 2b and 3b. I am really looking forward to it. I really like my class and enjoy spending time with them. I am really lucky that I have them to help me become "Danish". The family situation is better, but still not resolved. I am thinking that a big part of it is the language barrier between my host parents and I. Neither of them speak much English, so it is hard to communicate beyond the basic conversational level. It will just take time and hard work!

Andy E

4 comments:

  1. Great entry, Andy! I hope you are going to be careful NOT to give the wrong impression in the future! I agree that it is nice to know that you have friends and family that are supporting you in all ways while you are in Denmark. (I thank all of you for your support too!) Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy - Sounds like you are getting a range of life experiences - how wonderful for you. What amazing learning opportunities you have been gifted. You're recognizing that life is very much about choices - it's really what you make of it.

    I've been reading - but hadn't commented yet. I couldn't resist when I read the part about your mom rubbing your head - I always liked to do that to you when you where little too. Now I'd have to be on a step ladder!

    Enjoy every moment of this great opportunity - make great choices! In the words of your great grandmother "Never say I can't - say I'll try!" Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy
    Glad things are better for you, it sounds like you are adjusting. As I said before you are a very strong person and have a great big wonderful support system with family. Enjoy it while you are there they will be great memories later. The time will go faster than you think.
    Sue Rechek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey bud, you should probs blog more often..I want to hear more Danish stories! Also, just throwing this out there, but I'll be in London from Nov 26-28...just saying...

    ReplyDelete