Sunday, June 20, 2010

The End Seemed So Far Away..

School is over, which is still strange to think about. The last 2 months of school were filled with all these random holidays (Kristian Himmelfartsdag, 2.Pinsedag, etc.) and cancelled lessons, that I got out of the routine of school. So when school finished up, it felt really unofficial. I guess I shouldn't really say that school is over because my class still has to go to all their exams, but I will not be partaking in the exams process because my class has exams in all the hardest classes; classes which I literally slept through (only a few times!). The last day of school was kind of hard because I realized that I wouldn't be seeing the now familiar faces I see everyday: dreadlocks girl, sweatpants guy, furry leg warmers girl and smiling grandma lunchlady. I will miss them all so much!

Instead of going to the exams I did a little "internship" for a week at my host mom's school. The first 4 days I helped with something called "Miniby". It was a neat little activity for all the kids from 0-2 classes (K-2nd grade). The kids had to work in different places (bookshop, pizzaria, bike-wash, etc.) and then they got money for the time they worked from the bank, where I worked. Then they could buy pizza, bookmarks, even clothes from the lost and found! The idea behind it was to help the kids see that money has to be earned and is not just given. It was neat to see the kids so intent on making money. Probably the funniest part of the entire week was when they found out I was American. The asked, "Do you speak English?!" "Ja." "Aww! Cool!" I am pretty sure that will be the first and last time anyone will be impressed that an American speaks English! The last day I helped out in a special education room, just helping them with reading and playing with them. School is so different than in the US. The kids have more of a friendship with their teachers. They eat lunch together at their desks and just talk. It is so nice and hyggelig. I think it makes it easy for the teacher to teach because there is mutal respect, something lacking in American schools. At the end of the week the class asked me to be in their "friend-book". It was a really nice week.

On Sunday then we had my AFS region's last meeting. It was a canoe trip. I guess I do not have so much to say about it, but just imagine being in a canoe with a Thai girl and French boy who had NEVER canoed before. It was pretty intense. Half of the trip was us bumping into trees, the shore, fences, other canoes, poles and anything else that was in our way. Part of the trip we were also going backwards, so that might explain that a little. It was a great day full of sun, singing and great friends!

I kind of freaked out over the fact that my parents and best friend were then coming in 4 days! Crazy! I got the house ready for them and had our plans all set. On Thursday morning I met them in the airport at 9:00 and then took them home. It was so weird to see them. They didn't belong in the picture, but it was a nice change. During the week we went to Copenhagen, my school, my city and ended the week with a very nice party from my class. The week went by really fast. It was nice to see them again, but I am not going to lie I did enjoy having my bedroom all to myself again! It was an easy goodbye because I would be seeing them in 10 days, which is nothing compared this year apart!

The past few days have been filled with last-minute plans and goodbye parties. It is so sad to say goodbye. I am bad at it. My goodbye consists of about 3 hugs followed by a short conversation and then some more hugs. I am just really enjoying my last times with my friends. These memories will be the ones I retain forever, so I better make them good!

The thought of packing and all the final details are pushing me into limbo. One week left and I am not sure how to feel about going home. I had a little taste when my parents came, but it will be hard to know until I am faced head-on with it. I am going to miss my Danish friends so much and equally, if not more, my AFS friends. They have been the ones who have helped me through the year and taught me so much about myself. It will be hard to get used not being able to call up my French, Thai, German, Kiwi, Argentinian, Japanese friends and get hang out. I will never have a time like this ever again and that is hard to come to terms with. These people are my family and from now on, I will always be missing someone, some place. I realize that life has to move on but I want all these people to continue with me, right by my side. Oh, how I wish that could be.

Andy E

1 comment:

  1. Andy,
    Your thoughts and feelings always come through clear and so accurately. You have made some wonderful friends and I am lucky to have had the chance to meet them too. This time in Denmark has shaped you and added a new dimension to your life. You have learned how important people are in your life. Not things...but relationships. Keep that thought always and you will never long for a friend. Your old ones will always be just a phone call or an email away and a new friend is waiting just around the corner! This adventure seemed just a dream and now look, you have accomplished the task you had set before you! I am very proud of you and love you very much. Love you more than babies love big-wheeled bouncy buggies. Mom

    ReplyDelete