Monday, June 28, 2010

"Yeah Sure, Ya Betcha!"

Leaving Denmark was one of the hardest things to do. It was like leaving an old friend, not knowing the next time I will see them again. That is hard to come to terms with, being that Denmark has been my "very best friend" for a year. But I KNOW I will be making a trip to Denmark sometime again!
2 days before I was heading home, I had a (little) breakdown. It was actually a large breakdown...I cried for 20 minutes to the point of it hurting. It was great to just get it out and I felt like those 20 minutes spread over the next few days, because I had dry eyes saying goodbye to my family and AFS friends, still not easy but no tears. On Friday night I had to say goodbye to Hjalte and Aske, my host brothers. The next morning they had a swimming competition and had to leave early in the morning. It was weird to saying goodbye to them, not hard, just strange. It didn't feel real. Like saying goodbye to a friend for the weekend, knowing you will see them the following Monday. But there won't be a Monday. I will miss having siblings around all the time, but I have to say being the "only child" at home has its benefits.

The following day I slept in, woke up, ate my typical Danish breakfast of yougurt and oatmeal and made sure all my suitcases were in order. The day seemed to drag on forever. Kjeld drove me alone to Copenhagen, so I had to say gooddbye to Gerda in the driveway. Again, it felt like a "See you later" goodbye. It doesn't really seem real until you are not seeing them daily or missing them. Kjeld dropped me off at the school we would be staying at and then came in for cake and coffee. It was strange to see all the other exchange students with the host families. Kjeld said goodbye and then I was on my own. It was really real at that moment. I knew that I was going home and that I wasn't going back to my house later that day or tomorrow. Then they put all the exchange students into a courtyard where we just talked and caught up. Most of the students who came by train arrived and it was fun to see them again, as I hadn't seen most of them since the first camp. We were 4 Americans (including myself) from Alaska, Michigan and Connecticut and were the only ones who would be leaving on Sunday, the 27th. Because of that we had to go to a 4 hours of sessions alone where they talked to us about how it could be going home and the potential of it being very difficult, something we all already knew quite well. That night we not given a curfew, so I stayed up til 1 a.m. just catching up with all the students I hadn't seen since awhile. It was really great, but I knew that it was probably better for me to get some sleep, as we were leaving for the airport at 8:30 a.m. the next morning. I didn't get much sleep (Thanks Italians) and showertime came much too soon. After breakfast we got all our gear together and walked to the airport. It was fun to be in the airport again after having just been there to get my parents. I really love airports. Some many people traveling all over the world, each with a different destination. I just love them. Anyway, we went through security and then had a longer walk to the gate, where we just sat, shared stories and looked at pictures. I was really happy to be traveling back with such great people. We laughed a lot and I am sure some of the others waiting were a little fed up with us, but we figured no harm, no foul. I have no idea if that made sense. The plane ride back was 8 hours of movies, eating, bathroom trips and a limited amount of sleeping.

Flying into Newark was a little bit of a surreal experience. It was a "Holy Crap! We are in the US again!" We observed how larger the roads were, how many more cars there were ON the roads, football/baseball fields and swimming pools. Getting off the plane was a punch in the face because the temperature was 91 degrees! NINETY-ONE! I don't even know if it has ever been that warm in Denmark, EVER! Just kidding! And so humid, that is something I did not miss one bit. We walked through Customs, collected our bags and then randomly met an AFS volunteer, just in time too. She told us we had to put some speed on it otherwise we may not catch our planes, which was maybe a little more of an exaggeration than need-be, but it got us moving. We said our quick goodbyes and then off we went. Really all alone. It felt great to be on my own, being in charge of myself, but then again it was a little upsetting knowing that I wouldn't be together with the other AFS students ever again. But I wasn't exactly thinking about that.

I caught my flight to Chicago in good time and boarded with no problems. The entire flight I was feeling a little uneasy and looking out a window thinking about the life, the people you just left behind in your home for the past year is bound to bring out some emotions. It was only a few tears, which than lead to a few more. Then the flight attendent stated in her very Midwestern accent, "Well folks, We'll be in Chicago in just a little bit." I let out a little giggle and then I kept it under control as the woman next to me gave me an awkward glance. It was just what I needed. Landing in Chicago was a strange feeling. All I was thinking about was how it would be to see my whole family again. Then, through thr doors we saw each other and it wasn't the exact feeling I thought I would have. It really wasn't a feeling at all. I hugged everyone and forced smiles, but on the inside I was really blank. It is a strange feeling, almost like boredom, which sounds terrible after seeing my family after a years time. I guess it was not what I was expecting. Anyway, we made a our way to a Culver's for my first (and delicious) American meal in a year. Then we spent the night in Chicago and the following day made our way to Rio, WI, my parents hometown. It was funny to see that nothing had changed. We had a little party that evening which was nice to see my family again. It really was a neat. The following day we headed home in the afternoon and I was greeted by the exact same Black River Falls I left. Nothing had really changed at all. It was that moment and previous moments like it that made my year in Denmark seem like a couple days. I unpacked and just walked around the house looking at all the things I had been missing the entire year. It was weird for me to be confused over which light switches turned on the bathroom light and which drawer holds the silverware and how to turn on the TV. The things that should come easy, but don't. Those will be the frustrating times that will are ahead. Feeling like a guest in my own home. Learning previously common knowledge over again. Saying weird, messed up phrases. That will be tough. It will take time. Lots of time. Although it feels great to be home, I really miss Denmark, my friends and my freedom there. The memories and experience I have had in Denmark will forever be in my heart and I will never forget the amazing people I have encountered.
I guess this is my final blog entry, as my AFS year has now ended and will not be as exciting as the latter. I would just like to thank everyone who has been involved in my AFS exchange year: my readers, those that financially supported me, my family and friends and anyone else who had an influence on my year. Thank you so much for making it what it was. My year was absoulutely incredible and for that I have all those behind me to thank. Thanks so much! Tak, skal I have.

Andy E

4 comments:

  1. Andy,
    We are very happy to have you back and I can see how your feelings are mixed. Just know that you have friends all over the world and whenever you travel, you will always have a friend nearby. I am very proud of you for completing a whole year abroad but I am not going to lie...I am really glad you are home! Love you more than kids love fireworks! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. jeg vil bare sige tak at jeg kunne læse om en andens oplevelse og tak at du også var i mit bedste år!
    jeg synes det er meget trist, at jeg ikke så dig igen på det sidste lejr, men jeg ønsker dig kun det BEDSTE for din fremtid og kan du have det rigtig godt.
    Knus
    Lisa from Switzerland :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gοod post. I learn something totаlly new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon every day.
    Іt ωіll always be intегesting to
    гeаd content from οthеr writеrѕ аnԁ practice something
    from thеir ωebsitеs.

    Take a look at my ρаge Chemietoilette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This
    is an extremely well written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely return.


    my blog Modcloth coupons

    ReplyDelete