Friday, August 28, 2009

Learning Danish, Forgetting English, Sleeping through Spanish?

Again, what a week! And TGIF!

Last weekend was just kind of a lazy few days. It was nice, because I had homework! I had to do a power point for biology about Wisconsin for my class and also has some Spanish homework, which hence the title, was quite simple. Then on Sunday, Jesper, Elise, Fie and I went to Copenhagen for the Fair Trade Festival. It was a 2-day festival that promoted the fair trade products and also created awareness about labor in third-world countries. It was a small festival, but enjoyable. Afte that the 4 of us walked around copenhagen looking for lunch. We stopped at a small cafe. The food was gourmet and delicious. It was nice to just sit and eat and watch the people and cars go by.

The next day was a great day, because the train times changed back to normal. They had been different for a number of months due to construction. Here is why this is so exciting. In the morning, we arrive 5 minutes early, which means I am not late for class and after school I can catch the train and then be back in Herfølge in 20 minutes, compared to 45 minutes. This cuts back on the train time and makes life so much easier. The trains are also running more often, which means I don't have to worry about missing a train and having to wait an hour for the next one.

School is going real well. I am not sure if I mentioned the enrollment in my last post, but I believe there are 800 students in the school and 6 exchange students. It is so weird having all these new faces of people I have never seen before. I am enjoying it though. I have already met 4 other students who have gone on exchanges with AFS. It is so weird! On Tuesday, I had gym for the first time. It was really fun. We were practicing high jumping. It was funny, because everyone would cheer for everyone who went, if the made it over the pole or not. I thought that this was just another example, on a smaller scale, of the mutal respect everyone has for each other in Denmark. After gym I had Spanish and we watched a movie about a girl who smuggled drugs into the US and it was weird, but I actually understood some of it. I was so surprised. I actually think that my Spanish is better here than it was in the US, which makes no sense. My English on the other hand is getting so much worse. I can already tell that my sentences are becoming shorter and honestly, it is really a miracle that you are even able to read these posts!

That night I also has language school. It was a really tough lesson and I went home and just sat there asking myself, "Why did I choose Denmark?". It was really hard to change my attitude about the language. Then, on Thursday our teacher told us how proud she was of us on Tuesday. She said that she went home very pleased and she told us that each one of us has potential to master the language. That was just what I needed to here. It gave some confidence and all the way home Jesper and I spoke Danish in the car. Of course, my Danish was broken and probably made no sense, I could see that he was happy I was trying.

Tonight I am going to a concert in Tivoli with some friends from my class. And then I have to wake up at 9 and go to the AFS welcome meeting for my area. It should be fun, but I will be so tired! I am thinking that I may post something soon about the food here, so stay tuned! Vi ses!

Andy E

4 comments:

  1. Hey Andy,
    It is so interesting to read about your everyday life, I am so glad that you get to have this experience. Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. an example of your english getting worse: She said that she went home very pleased and she told us that each one of us has potential to master the language. That was just what I needed to here.

    you needed to here! :)
    love your blog.


    mer

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way im happy that you have such a nice danish life, youre so lucky that youre close to a big city. im really not doing anything over here. i wish we were closer. bah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andy,
    I was so excited for you when your mom told me about your being an exchange student. What a wonderful adventure and life experience.

    I am looking forward to keeping track of what is happening with you so I hope you will not be to busy with homework to post every now and then.

    My thoughts and best wishes are with you for a wonderful time over in Denmark.

    Hugs,
    Ms Oldham

    ReplyDelete