Wednesday, August 19, 2009

School, School and more School...

Well...what a week!

I started school on last Thursday. It was great to finally get there and see the school. It is so big! There are 3 buildings: Art and Music; Cafeteria, Office and Classrooms; and the HUGE one with the library and 30-some classrooms. It is interesting, because there are no "Social Studies classrooms"; a classroom can be used for French one class and the next for Religion. Sometimes you even have back-to-back classes in the same room (Today, I had English and Religion in the same classroom).

The schedule is similar to BRFHS, but we get 20 minute breaks between classes. This is what the schedule look like:

(1 modul is like a block or period)
Modul 1- 8:05-9:40
Modul 2- 10:00-11:35
Modul 3- 12:05-13:40
Modul 4- 13:50-15:25

This means that I could have a maximum of 4 classes per day, which rarely happens. What is really nice, is when your Modul 1 class gets canceled, because then you get to sleep in! This happened to me on Tuesday! What is also different about the schedule is that you have a different class every modul. So, I will not have Danish every Modul 2 for a semester. In fact, there are no semesters. Just one, very long year! These are the classes I will be taking all year:

Danish
English
Spanish
Citizenship (Social Studies)
Classical Civilizations
Religion
Biology
Sport (Phy. Ed)
Natural Geography
History

As you can see, 8/10 classes are in Danish. So, it will be a VERY long year!

My class has 30 students in it, including me. I have every single class with these other students, which is another difference from school in the States. I already have some friends who sit by me and talk to me, which is good.

Also, language school is going well. It is every Tuesday and Thursday night for 4 hours! It gets long, but we have generous breaks. There are 8 people in my class: 3 exchange students (including me), a husband (England) and wife (Spain), a lady who has Danish boyfriend (Ireland), a lady who moved here for work (Germany) and a guy who just joined (country unknown). It is really hard, yet fun at the same time. During the breaks we talk to get other, which makes everyone more comfortable to make mistakes, which happens A LOT!

Finally, the highlight of my week! On Monday night, Jesper (my host dad) and I played badminton. It was so awesome! There is a fieldhouse next to the soccer fields devoted only to badminton, and handball in the winter. I thought I was good at badminton, but Jesper killed those thoughts. 1st game: 6-15, 3-15, 2-15 2nd game: 1-15, 2-15, 1-15 I was happy he didn't "skunk" me though! My arm and legs are still sore, 2 days later! I think we are going to do it next Monday too, though.

Andy E

6 comments:

  1. Andy
    Glad you are getting to do things now, sounds like a lot of school with the night class's.
    Sue Rechek

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts are the same as Sues. I thought what a lot of school. Glad that you have some free time to get out and just enjoy the weather. Which is like what? Your mom said she was sending some sweaters, so I take it is colder. Take care...............Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Andy! What an amazing experience you are having! I cannot believe all of the fun you must be having!!! I am so jealous! Your sister sounds like a big help, too, and Jesper sounds like a great host-parent!

    Take Care, Have Fun, and Post Soon!
    -Cassie Olson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy,

    Sounds like you are having a great time. I love reading your updates. Sounds sooo much like Austria, school, history, values, language barrier, socio economic status, sustanable living, etc. I love it that you used the word "sketchy" about the hippie part of Copenhagen. Can't wait to hear more. Halve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andy :) Cassie told me to read your blog from Denmark and I said what Andy is in Denmark. I didn't know you were going there. I think its such a Awesome experience for you. You will learn and experience so many exciting things. Now that I know your Blog is on here I will have to keep up on it and post to you from time to time. Take Care and keep up all the Good work...........Cassies Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Swedish schedules look the same, so it took some time to get use to the American school schedule.. what I'm trying to say is, that you will get use to everything faster than you imagine!! like you're saying, you're English is already getting worse! I miss you, hope we'll see each other soon!

    ReplyDelete