Thursday, May 6, 2010

Ej...

Surprise, surprise. Once again I all together forget about my blog. Usually two possible reasons are to blame for my absence of blog writing: 1) Nothing very exciting has been happening or 2) I have been very busy. Oddly enough, both are at fault. I have been keeping busy by doing not very exciting things, I guess! I take this as a good sign, however. My life here in Denmark has become quite "normal" and the things that I used to find different and interesting are now my norm. For example, the train is no longer exciting and foreign because I take it every day. The food is no longer exotic and strange, because I eat it every day. The language learning is no longer difficult and tiring because I speak it every day. I guess you could say I have now become a real "Danish American"!

Here are a couple small things that have happened in the past weeks.
-I went to the beach with some other exchange students (COLD!)
-I baked my favorite Danish dessert: Drømmekage!
-I got hooked on a Danish TV show and watch it almost every Monday-Thursday
-I went to a very large May 1st festival in Copenhagen
-I saw a very funny Danish comedy
-I played Scrable and WON with the word 'fup', which means to cheat ;)
This entire week at school has been quite different. We are doing something called AT, which we where we work in groups and create a project using 2 or more of classes. My group, for example, is doing a project about the Aboriginals of Australia and their relegious beliefs. We are using English, Religion and Social Studies classes to help us analyse all our research. The week is really more about research skills and practice with proper report writing than the project. It is quite different than anything in the United States and I really enjoy it, but don't get me wrong it is a lot of hard work. We present our next Monday, so wish me luck!

And very exciting news! My PARENTS and BEST FRIEND are coming to Denmark!!!!! I am really looking forward to that. They fly into Copenhagen June 10th and fly back to the States June 18th, 10 days before I leave myself. I am excited for them to meet my family and friends and I have quite an agenda of things to do planned for them. It will be VERY FUN! On a more random thought, next week I am going to Jutland (the peninsula connected to Germany) to visit LEGOland! LEGOs were invented in Denmark, so we are only going to absorb some good Danish culture..not for fun at all! ;)

Speaking of not fun, my departure date is sneaking up closer and closer. The current countdown is around 53 days, which seems like nothing compared to having already spent 9 or so months here. I am trying not to think about the time but it so hard to ignore the fact that in 53 days I will be going back to my old life. Same place, same people, but I am not the same. That is something I am quite scared to face, but it is all part of the growing experience. So, my offical itinerary is as follows:

27 June, 2010
CPH-Copenhagen 12:20 PM -- EWR-New York/Newark 2:45 PM
EWR-New York/Newark 5:42 PM -- ORD-Chicago O'Hare 7:24 PM


A long day of traveling! But in Chicago I will be picked up by my parents and brother and drive to the nearest Culver's (!) or other established American restaurant. I plan on gaining at least 10pounds in the first 2 days back. ("Hey! I forgot about {insert an unhealthy typical American snack, fx. Zebra Cakes!}" ) Just kidding, I have more self-control than that. After Chicago, my parents and I will drive back to good ol' Wisconsin and see my family. THEN, we will drive home and I will sleep for 48 hours consecutively! I am really looking forward to seeing BRF and all my faithful blog readers again. What will you do without my inconsistant blog entries?

Andy E

3 comments:

  1. Andy,
    Your blog rocks and so do you! I will miss your blogs so much, even though I will have you here in the flesh! I am so happy when I see a new entry. I check it every day, and I know others do too.

    I totally understand how things can be unexciting and still be pleasant. That just means you are comfortable. It will be strange for you when you first come home but it won't take long for you to adjust to your life as a more mature and worldly young man. Your family and friends are so excited to see you again too. I know that I personally will be on Cloud 9 once you return!

    I also cannot wait to meet your family and friends, and experience a portion of what your life has been like. You will be a wonderful tour guide!

    I am so proud of you, Andy. You truly have no idea how much! Just think of that whenever you have struggles in this next month or so. Denmark's loss will be the United States gain! Love you more than worms love apples! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,
    Always a pleasure to read about your adventures. We are also excited to make the trip to Denmark to visit and to learn. These final days will probably go by quickly so enjoy them.
    Love ya,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy, I have truly enjoyed your blog, and watching you as you make this awesome journey. You are an awesome young man and I know how proud your parents must be that you are the wondrful person you are. Thanks so much for always keeping me updated and letting me be a part of your experience. I feel very honored to have had the opportunity to work with you and I look forward to working with you when you are back "Stateside"

    ReplyDelete