Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hvad?!

I had an epiphany moment last night. I was sitting in my bedroom watching Queen Margrethe's 70th Birthday Party on TV (her birthday is on Friday)and totally realized I was understanding everything. I was thinking in Danish, 'I understand everything, but I do not know how!' It was one of those weird moments when I had to take a step back clear my mind and anaylse the situation in English. From that point on, I was attempting to translate everything I heard into English. It was not an easy task and after 30 seconds I totally gave up. (I have a new found admiration of translators!) It feels like I am not learning any more Danish, but it is to the point where the absorption of Danish is happening naturally. I am sort of on auto- pilot and I do not have to try as hard to learn more Danish. It is such a crazy feeling! Maybe one day my Danish will come in handy, for example if I marry a Danish princess. That would be nice! :)

Andy E

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Andy! You knew it would happen but it is kind of cool that it snuck up on you! That is when you know you are truly "Danish"!! Love you more than fires love oxygen. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Andy on accomplishing what every person learning a language wishes to do someday, and that is to become fluent to the point where you can think and dream in the language.

    Wade

    BRF 2009 Grad

    ReplyDelete